Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Kirkus Indie Review Arrived!

I was in Australia for my daughter's wedding when I heard about Kirkus Review for Indie Authors. A friend had emailed information about it. I knew very little about Kirkus Indie at that point, but I had an instant gut feeling that it was what I should do. As an author struggling to make my mark, Kirkus seemed like the logical choice but I didn't have the PDF file of "What She Doesn't Know" with me, so I had to wait until I got home to send my book off for review.

I sent it the very day I arrived home. Jet-lag and all.

Yes, this review was a little more costly than what I had previously paid for promoing my work, and Kirkus is well known for being brutally honest in their reviews. Let's face it, they wouldn't have their renowned credibility otherwise.

I still had that gut feeling that I SHOULD do it, and after doing my research I learned that the review would not be posted for the world to see unless I wanted it to be. Therefore, if I got a less than stellar review, I could bury it deep within my files and it would never see the light of day. Needless to say, I hoped that wouldn't happen, but I was well aware of the possibilities.

On the upside, my treasure hunting romantic suspense was receiving very good reviews online. It is currently rating at 4.24 on Goodreads, and 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon. So, I waited - week after week, marking off the requisite time on my desk calendar. Nine weeks later I received an email. I was in the kitchen when the email came in, we'd just rushed home to start a late supper when I took a peek at my iPod and saw that the email from Kirkus was waiting.

Supper was even later that night, let me tell you! :) I told my husband to take over and I rushed down the hall to my computer so I could read the email on a bigger screen. Cliched as it might be, my heart was literally in my throat. My pulse had picked up, I held my breath in nervous trepidation/anticipation....


I read the review. My heart lurched. Wait! Had I read that correctly? I'd gone over it so quickly, I might have missed something. It seemed great to me. I read it again and I started to breathe, and smile and thank my lucky stars.... I had received a review to be proud of. And they even mentioned one of my favorite movies of all time, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My gut feeling hadn't steered me wrong.

There are indie writers out there who are wondering about Kirkus Reviews. Should they risk it? My response: Writing is all about risk taking from the first moment you put pen to paper. We can say we're writing for ourselves, but the moment you publish, you're writing for your readers and you want it to be the best product you can muster. Kirkus Indie was a great choice for me. I'm thrilled with my review and I'd love to share it with you.

"Gardiner takes everything positive about romance novels, mixes it with a little bit of adventure and throws in an evil villain or two, resulting in a perfect petit four for sating a romantic craving. Just don’t be surprised if you are hungry for more 30 minutes later." -- Kirkus Reviews


https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lina-gardiner/what-she-doesnt-know/

17 comments:

  1. Lina, thanks for keeping us up to date on your "Kirkus adventure." I'm not at all surprised your book received a great review. It's a lovely book. Don't forget to let us know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Kate. Will definitely keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope it helps with sales, but even if not, it's a great thing to have on your side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly, I'm so glad you stopped by. You're right, the review will be a nice addition to query letters, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Congratulation's Lina, What a great review. Well deserved for sure, Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doris, I really appreciate that! Good luck with your book!

      Delete
  5. Awesome review, Lina! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenna,
      I was thrilled, I can tell you! Thanks very much!

      Delete
  6. I loved reading this post, Lina! I'm not at all surprised that the review was positive, for two reasons. First, it's a great book and totally deserved it! And second, you felt so positive that you should do this from the outset. I've always known you were intuitive, and that gut feeling steered you right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norah, I love that we (our Domino Diva group)started out together and we've all come this far. We still have mountains to climb, but it'll be fun travelling together on our adventures.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, that is a fabulous review! You must be so proud. Congratulations!!!

    Grace Hood
    (aka Lu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Grace. And thank you for coming to my blog! I just looked at your website... I'm published with Wild Rose Press, too. And ImaJinn Books. :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats!!! Incredible review. Way to go!

    Emmly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Emmly! So nice of you to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating account. I'll share this with people considering the same possibility. So glad you got your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jenny! Please do share this with anyone who's curious about Kirkus, and how it worked for at least one author(me) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Linda,

    I was searching for information about Indie Kirkus, and am happy to have found your blog and books! Nice going with the Kirkus review. Like you, I included excerpts from my paid reviews on Amazon.com, and even though their policy seems to be not to accept the entire review as an 'editorial review', you can still slip in the excerpts from your 'authors central' page.

    I also found a Bay area and Portland, Oregon service for $100, where you can get a review and a lot of mileage from an included placed ad in their book review sections. The San Francisco Book Review (online pub), and the Portland Book Review (a paper pub). Both offer objective reviews and placement in well-regarded pubs in their local areas.

    Your blog looks really interesting, so I'm tagging along! Nice to meet you, and know about your fascinating stories.

    Jo
    http://facebook.com/twigstories.com
    www.twigstories.com

    ReplyDelete